Micellar water—the name sounds like a mix of chemicals or a magical concoction filled with mysterious cells.
In reality, it’s neither of these descriptions.
Micellar water, dubbed the “French woman’s best-kept secret since the ‘90s” by Marie Claire magazine, is a new member of today’s beauty regimen. Unlike the latest trends that involve crazy masks or chemicals, this one goes back to the basics. It’s just a non-rinse, soap-free cleanser that rid your face of oil, makeup, and other impurities.
But first things first—what is micellar water all about?
The Basic Details
First used in France, the product gets its name from the science behind its composition. Made from “micelles,” also known as tiny oil molecules suspended in water, its claim to fame is offering a cleansing solution that does not sting and prevents oil.
Instead of exposing your face to products that contain harmful chemicals, micellar water deals with skin issues with particles that cling to your face and dissolve all your worries. Some micellar water use light ingredients, as well as botanical extracts, such as rose petals and rosewater.
Redness or irritation is no longer an issue; you don’t need your trusted washcloth to rub your face clean. With micellar water, all you have to do is apply it with a cotton swab.
Why You Should Make the Switch
More Modern Filipinas are ditching their old makeup removers and toners in favor of this recent beauty favorite. Wondering if you should do the same too? Here are some reasons making the switch is a good move for your skin care regimen:
- An effective makeup remover. If you’re like me, removing a day’s worth of foundation, eyeliner, and mascara is always a struggle. I go through a stack of makeup removers in just a month. With micellar water, however, this is no longer a problem.
Micelle molecules act like magnets, immediately picking up sebum and dissolving the dirt from your makeup. None of that tingly or tightening effect; with micellar water, you get makeup-free skin with a fresh and clean feeling.
- Perfect for all skin types. Micellar water is mild and non-irritating, which makes it the perfect cleanser for different skin types. Sensitive skin will also benefit from its cleaning properties. So go ahead and apply all over your face.
- Keeps your skin clear. People with blemish-prone skin can finally clean well with micellar water. It naturally clears the skin of sebum and other wax-based substances, which trigger breakouts.
- Your handy skincare must-have. Since this product lessens the need for cleansers, toners, and makeup removers, there’s no need to bring too much in your makeup bag. All you have to do is bring some cotton balls, and you’re good to go.
If you’re interested to give micellar water a try, popular beauty experts recommend the following brands:
- Simple Micellar Cleansing Water
- Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water
- Micellar Water 4-in-1 by Maybelline
Give your makeup routine a fresh change by swapping your toners and makeup removers with micellar water. You’ll enjoy the results—trust us!